Wednesday, May 30, 2012

It was enchanting

I have been diabetic for a long time now and I am not writing about how enchanting it is to have diabetes. Diabetes has interfered with so much of my life and brings many fears of the unknown that is before me. Diabetes is much like the boogie man someone that hides in the shadows and you may forget about him for a short time but as you lay in bed at night that fear is brought to the forefront of your mind. As a teenager one of my fears was that I would never meet a special someone that would take me and my diabetes on. That would love me through thick and thin, health and sickness and grow to understand and help me. Someone that would be MY prince. You all know I did meet him but you do not know how I met him, how he found out and reacted to my diabetes and how we grew from 2 very separate souls to a united being were I feel he is just an attachment to my body.
First let me say through high school people did not approach me; girls or guys. I was treated as a big germ. Teachers were scared of me, girls thought I had too much drama and guys thought I had too much baggage. I understand on some level yes diabetes is a very serious disease but I am a person who happens to have it and it does not have me. I am not diabetic Kendyl I am JUST Kendyl. But, once people find out about this they treat you differently.
After high school I moved 2.5 hours from my home to go to a school in central Arkansas. I did not remain friends from most people from high school and in all actuality I am only friends with 1 from high school and she is my best friend in the entire world. She understands me and she has her own baggage and drama. So I left my hometown and moved into a dorm at my college. I loved my rooms, she was and still is the best. Well she met this guy on Halloween of 05 and they started to spend a lot of time together. One night she called me and told me to head over to our friend J’s house. Well I didn’t know but my rooms, K, had set up this plan with her boyfriend to introduce me to someone. I got there before he did but they still didn’t tell me this plan. We were all hanging out and the doorbell rang. J answered and she already knew him and was excited for him to come in. He was wearing a blue hoodie, cubs hat, jeans and a cross necklace. He had dark brown hair and golden brown eyes and a great smile. I liked him immediately, I knew there was something there or more of I wanted for something to be there. J introduced us and then everyone left us alone. We talked for hours about everything and nothing. I loved how he looked me in the eyes as we spoke. As everyone else was leaving we decided to go to IHOP. There we ate pancakes and talked more. We discovered we had much of the same taste in shows and movies. And now its funny but he had me at “I have all the seasons of Futurama.” This was in November 05. I was 18 and he was 20.

He found me on Facebook the next day. I was so excited and immediately sent him a message saying how much fun I had and gave him my number. The ball was in his court and I so hoped he would want to play. He wrote me back briefly but didn’t actually call or set up another date! We didn’t hang out until New Years but after that we started spending all of our free time together. Not long after Valentines day he called and said there was someone he wanted me to me. I was nervous but got all gussied up and headed over to his house. I rang the bell and I totally thought he was wanting me to meet his parents. Well he opened the door and there looking back at me was the most beautiful blue eyes. He had gotten Shadow and he wanted me to be the first one to meet him. Soon after that I was officially his girlfriend. I was excited but there was one problem. I had a huge secret I was keeping and believe me I had no idea how I kept it that long. I had never told him I was diabetic and I was scared to death to do so.

It wasn’t long after we had become officially “boyfriend” and “girlfriend” that he discovered I was diabetic. We were relaxing on the couch and when I got up my pump had fallen out of my pocket and gotten stuck in the couch cushion. He was sitting next to me when I got up and he was so confused at this clear tube attached to what he thought was a pager was attached to me. He started pulling on it and asked “Why do you have pager? Are you a drug dealer?” I knew the gig was up and I had to tell him. I very plainly told him that is my insulin pump and I am a type 1 diabetic. My head raced and I just knew he would dump me. Who would want to take that on? Well he just stared at me and said OK and went back to watching the movie we were watching. I was floored no one ever acted so non-chalantly about this. Over the next few years he learned all he could about it and even went to diabetic camp with me to work. He takes care of me when I am sick and loves me for who I am diabetes and all. It was truly enchanting to meet him. I would not be here without him. Yesterday we celebrated our second wedding anniversary and we are just as nerdy, carefree and happy as ever!
Diabetes doesn’t just affect me. It affects those around me and those that love and support me. Diabetes isn’t just my disease but my support group has taken it on also. Without my amazing support group of not only my husband, but also mom and dad, my siblings, my in-laws and my friends I would not be here. Every diabetic needs a few angels watching and helping them so to all you who are someone’s support group I thank you.
And as for me and my prince…..
The rest is history…..

No comments:

Post a Comment