Friday, December 9, 2011

Diabetics deserve extra credit

So I have been in school for quite some time now and 11 of those years I have been a type 1 diabetic. I went though all of my high school and college years with this disease. In high school my parents set up a 504 plan for me and they would have a meeting with all of my teachers every year to go over my care. Teachers would listen as my mom would proceed to cry and try to scare the shit out of them. Most of the time it worked and they would let me get away with murder for fear of waking up the diabetes beast and something happen to me. Now I did have a few teachers that thought they knew better and would change my lunch, make me eat my snack in the hallway, or let me wander off by myself to the nurse when I was low and my diabetes beast would rear its ugly head and would show them who was boss. Yeah I scared all of my teachers and principals in high school by passing out or having other weird diabetish things happen. Now at that time I took NPH and Regular insulin and it was terrible. Well I finally went onto Lantis and Novolog and I have not passed out since (well except when my pump dumped all its resevoir on me but that is a story for another time).

But since I had these experiences in high school when I entered college I took it on my self to make sure it be known I am diabetic. So every semester when I enter a class I walk up to my professor and tell them "Hi my name is Kendyl and I am a type 1 diabetic so during this semester I may have to eat or take a shot in the middle of class. I just want to make sure you are aware." Most of them do not care and do not understand anything about it and they will take no time to understand it but I don't expect them to. Most of them will ask a few questions like symptoms, and how long I have had it. I will tell them the symptoms to look for and tell them I have had it for 11 years. They then think well she has had it long enough she has her shit together. Most of the time that is true but what they do not understand that sometimes I don't and this is why I think diabetics deserve extra credit.

Now I know some people think well thats not fair to non diabetics if diabetics get extra credit and I say to that well its not fair your pancreas secretes insulin. Now the other thing is non diabetics can use 100% of their thinking for taking a test, writing a paper, pay attention in class while a diabetic can not put 100% into class because I am constantly  thinking ok what is my blood sugar, how many carbs was that, did I take enough insulin, why the hell did I go low/high, am I getting sick and the list goes on and on and on. And then you add on stress because stress does crazy things to sugars. So for instance finals week I have been studying like crazy, finishing up 6 papers (which one prof sprung on us TUESDAY), and then taking the tests. What has my BGs been this week INSANE I go from high to low, high to low and all for no damn reason. By the end of finals week I am pulling out my hair and crying in a corner and its all because of stress. And when my BGs are so terrible I literally can not think; my memory is shot and I am starving. When I am high my head and stomach kills me, I am exhausted, thirsty and peeing every 30 minutes. When I am low the room spins and I can not make anything make sense. When my blood sugars are like this how can I be expected to do well on tests?

So these are the reasons diabetics deserve extra credit

1 comment:

  1. I actually think that is a valid point! If I was your teacher I'd give you extra credit!

    ReplyDelete