Monday, December 5, 2011

Finding an endo

After I got married I had to find a new endocrinologist. I was very upset about this because I loved my old endo. My hometown did not have any endos so people would usually have to drive to Little Rock, Dallas, Shreveport or Tyler. A friend of my moms told my mom about her sons endo and even offered to give us their appointment after I was diagnosed. So I started going to Dr. R and I loved her she was awesome. She was so easy to get a hold of and she really cared about her patients. Well I went off to college and that was 5 hours from her but I continued to go to her because she was my endo I liked and felt comfortable with her. But, when I got married my husbands insurance did not cover Dr. R. So then I had to search out an endo and go through the long process! This was the biggest pain in the ass EVER!
So I asked all my type 1 friends who they liked and then I had to go to my GP to get referred or insurance wouldn't cover the appointment (don't get me started on insurance). So first I tried a endo at UAMS. I did not like her from almost the beginning. When I went in to the appointment I had a sinus infection and I though hey while I am there she could give me a z-pack or something so then I don't have to make an appointment with my GP. I told her what was going on and she told me "I only deal with diabetes". Well lady this sinus infection is affecting my DIABETES! Then after the appointment whenever I would have blood sugar issues (like I was going low at night EVERY night) I could never get ahold of her; she would never return calls, emails, nothing! I just didn't get the feeling that she cared about me at all, not like my other endo made me feel. Dr. R would listen to me and my feelings. This new endo just did not care.
I made the decision after only two appointments I was NOT going back to that endo! I then again went about finding a new endo, getting referrals and everything. Well a parent at the school my mom works at is a type 1 and she recommended the clinic I am at now. This new doctor is awesome. He actually listens to me! He is up to date on all the new things diabetes related and he will even write me scripts for antibiotics when I am sick!! He has never told me "I only treat diabetes". I feel like he actually cares about me. So when trying to find a doctor, ask your friends, and if you don't feel comfortable with your doctor FIND A NEW ONE! Your doctor should make you feel like you are a person not like just another patient.
The reason for this post I went to the endo last Friday and I will write about that appointment later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment