Monday, March 26, 2012

The fear...

Everyone knows how diabetes affects the body physically; the complications, the shakes, your eye sight, your kidneys, your limbs. We all know people who are facing these complications but no one talks about the cruel mind tricks we go through. The fear that that may be our future, the fear that our disease will win. The mind tricks that get played over and over every time a too high or too low number shows up on our meter. And now that I am an adult and married the fear that my genes hold this horrible disease that I may pass on to my children. That is my greatest fear that my future kids will be saddled with this and it would be my fault. I have talked incessantly with Stephen about this. I do not think he understands why I fear this so much. He just tells me who better to lead a child through these murky waters of diabetes then a mother with diabetes. I don't want to lead my children through this. I don't want my children to ever have the pain, the fear, the loneliness that this disease brings. I don't want them to loose their carefree childhood to this and this is what I fear the most. I am not saying I didn't have an amazing childhood because I did but it was not the same as other kids and I knew it. I knew I was different, I knew I had to do things other kids didn't, and for a long time I thought I was the only one and I was so lonely. I do not want that for my children. I want them to run and play and not have to stop. I want them to be able to eat cake and ice cream at a birthday party without ever thinking about it.
I know kids are in my future at some point and I will have to face the fear that one of them may become diabetic and I hope I can create an environment my parents did. Diabetes is just apart of me but it does not define me. I just hope it will not define any future children I may have. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, there are worse things they could get. Just seeing YOU making it this far is great..and gives me hope for MY daughter! ; )
    We never want it for our kids, but the sad news is..we don't get to choose. Even if you didn't have it, there would still be a chance for your kids to get it.
    Don't let fear hold you back. : )

    ReplyDelete